With people slowly growing to understand the consequences that their lifestyle inflicts upon the environment, as well the growing trend of ‘Being Green’, it has never been more prevalent for travel companies to encourage an eco-friendly, sustainable environment.
For over 37 years, Inkaterra has pioneered and promoted sustainable tourism in Peru. Throughout the years at both Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel and Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica, the team has introduced thousands of people to the natural wonders and the indigenous cultures of Peru. Creating authentic experiences for their guests, with a focus around excellence in ecotourism and conservation is the fundamental meaning behind the Inkaterra experience.
The Sustainability Policy at Inkaterra aims to preserve the environment, preserve the native cultures, and develop sustainable tourism in Peru. Here are just some of the sustainable targets outlined in Inkaterra’s policy:
- Define and respect authentic cultural, social and environmental values.
- Create professional development opportunities and encourage the recruitment and training of local staff.
- Develop contingency plans for natural, social or financial disasters.
- Encourage the development of local communities, taking into consideration their environment and culture.
- Use environmentally friendly products and maintain good communication with suppliers.
- Use energy and water efficiently, and provide adequate waste treatment.
- Offset the greenhouse gas emissions generated by the organization’s operations, in order to be carbon neutral.
The recent Virtuoso Travel Week conference in Las Vegas, an event showcasing the news and updates from the luxury travel market, identified ‘Sustainable Tourism’ as a key emerging trend. Top destinations and travel providers expressed a strong commitment to products and practices that support this movement. Inkaterra, a leader in this recent emerging trend, has had this at the heart of all their movements since opening in 1975.
To put it simply, sustainable tourism is the desire to preserve this beautiful world in which we live in. Can you imagine a future without outstanding natural beauty like that seen at Machu Picchu and in the Peruvian Rainforest? By hoteliers creating a sustainable and eco-friendly strategy, they will be able to assist in preserving these astoundingly beautiful places that are found at all corners of our world. By embracing a sustainable living environment, we hope that our grandchildren will be able to one day experience the same beautiful locations that we have had the privilege of visiting.